Resources for Learning German
For all interested in continuing their learning, please see the resources listed below. Links to websites are provided, as well as a brief description. If you have found any additional resources you’d like to share, please send them along and we will update the list.
Viel Spaß und viel Erfolg beim Deutschlernen!
• ZDF Logo – German news for young people (w/ English subtitles)
• Wetter.de – Tracking the weather in Europe (auf Deutsch)
• Deutsche Welle – Learn German with Deutsche Welle
• BBC German Steps – A beginner’s course
• Grudschule-Arbeitsblätter – Worksheets (for elem. school)
• Online games in German – this article identifies online games, not necessarily made for learners, that are in German
TV for Kids (Online, free)
• Peterson und Findus on You Tube Note, this is posted by Edel Kids, but may have commercials or such that is inappropriate for all children. Please watch TV with your kids when using You Tube.
• Pippi Longstocking Full Episodes on You Tube
Read free German texts online
• Fairy tales and children’s stories: http://www.familie.de/kind/maerchen-geschichten-576161.html
• Annotated and glossed German classics https://annotext.dartmouth.edu/texts?language_id=10000
• Project Gutenberg for e-books: https://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/DE_Hauptseite
• Discover comics (many available online): http://www.fluentu.com/german/blog/german-comic-books/
• Get German-language radio on your phone with apps like “Radio Austria” (Apple) and “German Radio LIVE” (Android) or check out http://radio.garden. Note that many of the songs are not in German.
• Identify German-language artists from Germany or Austria’s top hits: http://www.viva.tv/charts/
• More advanced learners can tune into German radio from Deutschlandfunk: http://www.deutschlandfunk.de/dlf24-startseite.1441.de.html
• Information about Exchange Programs
• Month-long summer exchange program http://www.friendshipconnection.org
• Wisconsin DPI sponsored semester long exchange program dpi.wi.gov/international-education/german
• General information and news about the German-speaking world
• Goethe-Institut in German and English http://www.goethe.de
• Politics, Information about Berlin (hotels, events, etc.) German and English http://www.berlin.de